These are some very important things that help complete a good child hood. If you have done or gotten these things as a child, and your children are doing or getting these things you are doing very well.
- The child has obtained a few cuts, and bruises from play and activity. This shows that they are actually being a normal child, & it will help them grow tough. Every child needs their peck of dirt.
- They get sick every once in a while. Children should not get sick too often, but if they never get sick as a kid they will not do well as an adult. The occasional cold or stomach virus is strengthening the immune system.
- They should have a few hours a day for free time. This time is when they are developing a hobby such as art, reading, exercising, playing with animals, climbing in trees, acting, etc…
- They are not on electronics all day.
In our day and age we spend way to much time in front of a computer, TV, etc… creativity
- They help out around the home in some way. If your child is younger, say 4-6 they can do things like clear the table, put away silverware, clean up rooms and more. If they are older like 7-9 they can do things like dishes, laundry, sweeping, counter clearing, yard work etc… The list goes on and children need to learn that they can help out.
- They can have a conversation with persons of any age. Kids should have the ability to associate with kids that are younger than themselves and people who are older. Nowadays kids mostly only talk to other kids around their own age. We should not get into a cycle of not learning from the older generations, and not letting the little kids learn from us.
- They should listen and or read good books. Kids can expand their vocabulary, and experience, by reading and listening to books. You can’t always just travel around the world whenever you want, but you can in a book. I like to listen to books while I do dishes. An app you can download to listen to great literature, is Loyal Books.
- Safety should be a partial priority. Don’t get me wrong safety is very important, but kids who are over safety-atized don’t do as many things. Yes I made that word up but it can be true. Safety should only be one priority. Kids can learn from mistakes as well as advise. Here is an article my mom found about this very thing.
- They NEED to have room to be themselves! Don’t let your child become a part of this picture. I stress this because “weird is a side effect of awesome” -favorite t-shirt. Kids who are themselves grow up interesting. Kids who are squelched into being someone they are not grow up normal. Everyone has the potential to be above average. Only some people become this because they are themselves.
- They should LOVE people. 1 John 3:18 – My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.